The Nile Basin Development Forum
The Nile Basin Development Forum (NBDF) is a high level bi-annual regional event that brings together stakeholders from within and outside of the basin to deliberate on opportunities and challenges in the sustainable management and development of the water resources of the Nile Basin. The overall objectives of the NBDF are:
· To enhance and continue building confidence and trust among countries of the basin through participation of a broader range of stakeholders including governments, private sector, civil society and NGOs, local water users and external funding agencies;
· To raise awareness of the benefit sharing of cooperative development of the Nile Basin;
· To provide forum for open discussion of NBI projects and initiatives;
· To introduce new ideas, share knowledge and best practices.
Three Forums have been conducted to date each having their specific themes as highlighted below:
1st NBDF, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2006: The Role of the Nile River in Poverty Reduction and Economic Development in the Basin.
2nd NBDF, Khartoum, Sudan, 2008: Environment and Water Resources Management for Peace and regional Cooperation in the Nile Basin
3rd NBDF, Kigali, Rwanda, 2011: Climate Change and its Implications for Sustainable Development and Cooperation in the Nile Basin – Threats and Opportunities to Nile Basin Cooperation
The theme of the 4th Nile Basin Development Forum is“Building sustainable trans-boundary cooperation in a complex River Basin”, with opportunities for identifying lessons learnt during the last 15 years of cooperation, identifying gaps, the challenges that lie ahead requiring countries’ attention, reflections into the likely directions to emerge and the mechanisms towards achieving them.The expected outcomes are:
· Shared learning on latest scientific information, knowledge as well best practices that can be replicated.
· Common understanding of the opportunities, challenges and prospects in trans-boundary water cooperation built.
· Opportunities for partnerships and networks explored and initiated.http://nbdf.nilebasin.org/